Rabbit With Dates and Apricots Au Gratin With Emmental L'Ancêtre
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) soft dates, halved
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) dried apricots
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) fresh thyme
- 2 rabbits, chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) flour
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) apricot jam
- 250 ml (1 cup) Emmental L'Ancêtre, grated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Steep dates, apricots and thyme in white wine, for approximately 30 minutes at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C). Flour rabbit pieces. Add salt and pepper. Brown rabbit in butter in a large casserole dish. Add shallot and continue cooking for a few minutes.
Add stock and date, apricot and white wine mixture. Cook for approximately 1 hour, or until the rabbit pieces are cooked.
Remove rabbit from casserole. Set aside and keep warm. Reduce cooking juices for approximately 5 minutes. Add apricot jam and continue cooking for approximately 5 minutes, until mixture thickens. Put rabbit back into the casserole.
Place cheese on rabbit pieces and broil for 2 to 3 minutes in the oven, until the cheese has melted.
Serve with green and yellow beans sautéed in butter.